Thursday, November 15, 2012

Ciao for now, dear Western Ghats!

The next day, at Dharmastala, I found the Madras Ace (Thoressa honorei), which is quite rare! And a Common Small Flat (Sarangesa dasahara)



Monkey Puzzle (Rathinda amor)


Common Banded Demon (Notocrypta paralysos):


I also came across a Colour Sergeant female, which was quite a sight to see! But luckily, my battery ran out and I had to return to Dharmastala main road, otherwise I'd have to miss my bus back to Bangalore.

As I stared out of the window of my bus to Bangalore, the marvellous landscapes gave me goosebumps. I looked at the dense patches, the thick and impenetrable parts of the woods. The sight of the unexplored evergreen forests enthralled me. A place without a single shoeprint! A place without a single trace of human existence! Not explored, not seen, not heard. Mysteriously beautiful, pure, and undisturbed in every sense of the word. A kingdom where nature reigns supreme. A world, an alternate realm which runs completely on its own, which does not need to be discovered.

As humans, we want to know what the universe is made of. We send satellites, spaceships and what not into heaven. But this land, this little heaven, the western ghats - there might be a million unnamed species out here. There might be more to discover right here than what we might find in outer space. But this world does not need to be hampered, those unknown creatures don't have to be labelled and collected by taxonomists, and everything doesn't have to be conquered. This world needs to remain mysterious, it needs to live. It needs to be respected. I may not have seen even a fraction of this mysterious world, but there is beauty beyond what we can see. I admire the unseen beauty. I don't believe in god, I believe in the Western Ghats!

No comments:

Post a Comment